Today marks the end of the first full week of my internship! As much as I love it (and it definitely didn’t start that way), I’m very glad for the weekend. Over the week I jotted down some random thoughts about being in a working world. Since this is my first time in an environment like this, some of my comments may be unusual. Be prepared… I think…
Things I’m NOT a Fan of:
- Sitting. I hate sitting. Cubes are cool and all. But seriously. No more sitting. It makes my legs feel funny.
- Standing. I love standing, but not for 4 hours at a time in bad shoes. I think I see a mall trip in my future.
- Not eating. Just stab me already I’m dying. To be honest, not eating for so long kind of ruins my self image. It stresses me out about suddenly loosing my metabolism and shrinking my stomach, and then when I finally do get the chance to eat I don’t like it because it makes me feel fat. Lame sauce.
- Unorganized people in positions of power. ‘Nuff said.
- Not being able to dance. Or exercise. For 9 hours. I may go insane. Oh wait. I’m already there.
Things I Heart:
- Engineering. Make’s me feel like secret agent man or something. These people are crazy smart and the technology out there is ridiculous. Seriously, you probably can’t even imagine some of the things that we can already do. Heck I can’t. My mind is blown almost every day.
- Learning. People at work are like goldmines. Just ask them a question and they’ll tell you everything you need to know about anything. Getting paid to learn? Totally awesome. Also, if you get bored Google has some crazy cool shiz. Stop looking up cute kittens and learn about vorticies and stuff. Then get a badass job and buy yourself a cute kitten.
- Excel. Ermahgersh!!! Organizational spreadsheet love!!!
- Dancing. After work. Almost everyday. Also everyday after work because I can move!!!
- Water. Cold water. It makes me feel like a mermaid. Fresh n’ beautiful y’all. Because dehydration is not cute.
So, those are my thoughts on how I’m feeling in the working world thus far. Overall, I definitely think I chose the right field to be in. Engineering is just awesome. However, I don’t think I would want to work at this particular company after I graduate. While aerospace is fascinating, I’m definitely excited to try my hand at biomedical engineering next. I’m also looking forward to not working 9 hours a day after this internship is over. It’s a little ridiculous if you ask me.
I hope you have a wonderful night… or day depending on your location 🙂
P.S. The feature image of my dog was not a completely random choice. The look on his face kind of describes how I feel when I come home from work: exhausted, slightly disheveled, and in need of some ‘decompression time’. That is, I feel this way until I see his goofy face and feel a little bit better. I’ve come to really enjoy going on hour long walks with my sister and the dog when I come home. It’s good bonding time.